Sign-Up to Receive Weekly Insights from The Nourishing Sage

How Do You Know if You’re Toxic?

What’s Your Body’s Chemical Burden?

by Sloan Barnett: Author, Green Goes with Everything,

Would you believe me if I told you even your unborn child has toxins flowing through her blood? It’s scary, but true. More than 200 toxic chemicals were identified in the umbilical cord blood of unborn babies in a groundbreaking study by the Environmental Working Group.

Most Americans, including children, have dozens of pesticides and other toxic compounds in their bodies, many of them linked to health threats. A source of many of these toxins? Common, every day, run of the mill consumer products. There’s no polite way of saying this: Your body is a landfill for a mind-boggling array of toxic chemicals. So is mine. So is your child’s.

Experts call the total amount of chemicals and pollutants that are present in your body at any given time our “body burden.” I don’t know about you, but I didn’t even know there was such a thing — and in a sense, I wish I still didn’t.

A few years ago, I persuaded experts at The Harvard School of Public Health, for the first time ever, to supervise a customized “Body Burden” test. The subject — me! The “Body Burden” test analyzed my blood for hundreds of chemicals and showed me that, like most of us, I had flame retardant, non-stick coating, plastics, etc. streaming through my blood, including many chemicals that have been banned for years.

Did you know:

• Of the 80,000 chemicals permitted in the U.S., the EPA required testing of only 500.

• Every day, 42 billion pounds of chemicals are produced or imported — wedon’t know the health risks of 75 percent of them.

• Asthma rates doubled between 1980 and 1995, and people diagnosed with asthma in the U.S. has grown by 4.3 million between 2001 and 2009.

We are participating in a giant chemistry experiment, and we are the test subjects.

Still not a believer? Then take a look at what I wrote in my New York Timesbestselling book “Green Goes with Everything: Simple Steps to a Healthier Life and a Cleaner Planet.”

Here’s a little test you can take to get a feel for your own chemical body burden. Check any of the following that apply in these two lists.

1. Do you:

• Suffer from asthma?

• Cough frequently?

• Have bouts of sneezing?

• Have irritated eyes?

• Often have a runny or stuffy nose?

• Have persistent itching?

• Suffer frequent headaches?

• Often feel fatigued?

These are, of course, common enough complaints, and there can be any number of causes. But before you blame them on some dire disease, answer the questions in this second list.

2. Do you:

• Frequently use conventional household cleaners?

• Often wear makeup?

• Microwave food in plastic containers?

• Drink a lot of water bottled in plastic containers?

• Have a lot of your clothes dry-cleaned?

• Experience more intense symptoms the more you’re at home?

• Find the symptoms go away when you’re on vacation?

• Find your children’s symptoms disappear in school and then return at home?

• Have wall-to-wall carpeting?

• Use air conditioners or humidifiers?

• Have a pest control company contract?

• Find your house to be damp or humid?

• Find excessive moisture on your windows, walls, or ceiling?

Look at the first set of questions. Did you check some of them? Now look at the second set. Did you check some of them, too? Bingo! I want you to at least consider whether the activities or conditions you checked in the second list could be causing the health problems in the first list.

Years ago, the endearing cartoon character Pogo said, “We have met the enemy and he is us.” In a sense that’s the case here. But it’s more accurate to say, “We have met the enemy and it is many of the products we use in our lives every day.” If you wheeze, itch, scratch, cough, breakout, have headaches, suffer dizziness, are constantly tired, or just feel chronically crummy, the enemy might well live right at home.

It’s shocking to learn that everything you breathe in and touch in your homemakes its way through your skin and into your bloodstream.

I can hear you starting to hyperventilate. You’re thinking about the unpronounceable chemicals in your blood, and in your child’s blood. Take a deep breath. It’s all going to be fine. We’re going to tackle this problem in small, manageable bites. We’re going to look at the priority aspects of your life from your food to your air to your water. We’ll see what we can improve and what we might just have to live with — one step at a time. So stay tuned in the days to come and go to greengoeswitheverything.com.

ref: HuffPostHeathyLiving

12 Responses to How Do You Know if You’re Toxic?

1. Free Movies August 9, 2012 at 5:36 am #

Very nice very nice stuff you have on ur blog your above excellence

2. Win an iPad 3 FREE! August 24, 2012 at 1:54 pm #

So I have wondered in a very unique page good stuff you have here

3. Denis Portela September 3, 2012 at 5:09 pm #

I just want to say I am very new to blogging and site-building and actually loved your blog site. Almost certainly I’m going to bookmark your website . You actually come with wonderful well written articles. Thank you for revealing your web site.

• Adwoa November 8, 2012 at 12:21 pm #

Elia Perez Posted on Kim thank you! Lupus is not the end of the world. I fight and challenge myslef daily. Sometimes to the point of exhaustion, but I NEED to squeeze everything I can out of my days! I have always been like that. To my family it is more significant now the cotributions I make to our family. Stay strong Sis!

4. Darrel September 18, 2012 at 4:04 pm #

Did you ever think about writing an ebook about it?

5. debra807 October 5, 2012 at 12:51 pm #

You are so welcome. What are some other topics you’d like to read about?

• Chabela November 8, 2012 at 11:03 pm #

Everything is made with chemicals, wtheher it is certified organic or not. Plants are amazing chemical factories, from the chemical process called photosynthesis to the chemical processes that make viable seeds, sap, colour pigments in the flowers everything on earth is made of chemicals. You are filled with chemicals and many are quite toxic. Fortunately our bodies have ways of handling toxic chemicals through the liver and kidneys. You 100% certified organic botanicals are the same chemicals as non certified and non botanical. When you break things down to the molecules, there’s no difference between organic botanical or anything it’s all the same. certified organic botanical is more about marketing and playing on the fears of gullible consumers.In cosmetics I prefer products whose ingredients are carefully tested for effacity and safety. I have sensitive skin and many plant compounds are highly irritating to my skin. look at poison ivy, nettles, and belladonna. they may be certified organic all they want, but that doesn’t make any of them harmless or safe. There’s a mushroom called Gyromitra esculenta, the false morel -that produces monmethylhydrazine (a chemical also found in rocket fuel). Is certified organic botanical rocket fuel any safer than synthesized rocket fuel?It’s all hype, there’s nothing wrong with chemicals, if anything some are more harmless than untested unstandardized unknowns from plants sources. Some plants are highly toxic and cause severe dermatitis reactions. Some chemicals have been purified and tested as harmless and very effective. Chemical doesn’t always equal bad and botanic organic does not always equal good.

6. Mollie November 17, 2012 at 11:32 pm #

Thanks! This will greatly help a newbie like me

7. Gale Wernli November 27, 2012 at 3:53 pm #

I simply want to mention I am very new to blogs and absolutely enjoyed your blog. Very likely I’m likely to bookmark your blog post . You definitely have excellent articles and reviews. Thanks for revealing your blog.

8. Toby Rogugbakaa December 19, 2012 at 10:00 pm #

I enjoy looking through a post that can make men and women think. Also, many thanks for permitting me to comment!

9. Guillermina January 5, 2013 at 7:49 am #

Excellent stuff and I also mostly am in agreement, will highly recommend this to my buddies. Many thanks for posting.

10. Mike January 24, 2013 at 12:25 am #

Really liked what you had to say in your post, How Do You Know if You're Toxic? | Indigo Lifestyle Solutions, thanks for the good read!
    — Mike